Additional Q+As

How many questions in a row are too many?

An average coaching session will consist of the coach asking effective questions 80% of the time, and using Say It As You See It and Appreciation during the remaining 20%.

 

What if the coachee does not understand or cannot answer my question?

When this takes place, the following are next steps that you, as a coach, can take:

a. Remain silent – silence will provide the time for the coachee to formulate their answer
b. Rephrase the question – sometimes all that is required is for the question to be put differently (you can try this several times)
c. Ask the coachee, “What do you think I meant?”
d. Ask the coachee, “What would you like me to ask you?”